My first beauty post! I haven’t written about beauty on my blog as of yet but I’m slowly branching out and sharing with you all the things that make me, me. I had pretty good and resilient skin up until my early twenties, when I made the mistake of signing up for a 30-day hot yoga membership one January. It wasn’t the hot yoga that ruined my skin, it was the fact that I went with a face full of makeup to a workout in a hot room that was the temperature of a sauna. It allowed my pores to open and right after class I would run out into the cold, where my pores closed, trapping all the dirt and makeup into my pores. That began my two year-long journey with acne.
Having acne and blemishes really took a toll on my self-confidence. I never left the house without makeup, would always carry my makeup case with me everywhere I went and hated going to the beach. I tried every skin care under the sun to try and clear up my skin from Kiehls to dermalogica to Bobbi Brown. It got so bad that I had even considered Pro-activ and Accutane. I used to get cystic acne on my chin that would take forever to disappear and would never fully fade. Because I had olive skin, any kind of blemish would take forever to fade because of the high pigmentation in my skin.
Then, I discovered the book Don’t Go To The Cosmetics Counter Without Me by Paula Begoun. She talked about healthy skin, skincare and reviewed almost every beauty product on the market. She also had a Best Of list for foundations, cleansers, toners etc. that ranged from high-end products to drug-store products. By this point, I was so tired of spending hundreds of dollars on skincare that just did not work. I ended up picking up her drugstore recommendations and used that for the next few months. My skin started to heal, enough for me to see and feel a difference but it still wasn’t where I wanted it to be.
Eventually, I discovered that Paula had formulated her own line of skincare products so I order everything from her line including products I didn’t even realize I needed. Like what’s BHA and Retinol? After the first night, my skin felt so hydrated and soft. I was so happy and have been using her products for the last three years. My skin was the best it’s ever been, of course I still had break-outs but only before the time of the month. Here are list of the products I used:
- Skin-Balancing Oil Reducing Cleanser – Great, creamy, gentle cleanser! Removes make-up well.
- Skin-Balancing Pore-Reducing Toner – Love this toner, removes any make-up residue after cleansing and refreshes and balances my skin after cleansing.
- Skin-Perfecting 2% BHA Lotion – This was one of the products I never knew I needed until I used it. This BHA lotion is lightweight and helps to gently exfoliate dead skin throughout the day or at night, helping to shrink your pores!
- Resist Intensive Wrinkle-Repair Retinol Serum – This is another product I didn’t realize I needed until I ran out of the sample size I was using and saw a difference in my skin. Has anti-aging properties. I also apply a thin layer of this serum at night when I feel a pimple coming in and it instantly goes away the next morning.. that’s if I haven’t already starting picking at it *slaps forehead*
- Moisture Boost Daily Restoring Complex SPF30 – A good daily moisturizer. I don’t find it very hydrating for my dry skin, I often have to double up on the moisturizer. Not my favourite.
- Moisture BOOST Hydrating Treatment Cream – It’s not super rich, sometimes I use this during the day as well.
- Resist Triple-Action Dark Spot Eraser 7% AHA Lotion – THIS PRODUCT! Works wonders. It helps to fade blemishes and acne spots. May take a couple weeks but it works.
Recently, I was invited to a Charlotte Tilbury event that included a facial. I was terrified. I had never had a facial before. My skin is sensitive. What if I break out. Maybe I shouldn’t go.
Reluctantly, I went. There were two treatments depending on my mood that day. I chose the rose quartz treatment that focused on self-love, positivity and letting go. It was my first-ever facial and I have to say, it was pretty life-changing. The facial and overall treatment was so relaxing and products were luxurious and smelled just like roses. I seriously did not want to leave.
I have been using Charlotte Tilbury’s Magic Cream and Magic Night Cream for a little over a week now. My skin has never felt so hydrated, soft and plump. Taylor also tried the Magic Night Cream the first night and woke up with glowing skin haha. The magic creams really are magical. I’ve also been wearing Charlotte Tilbury’s Brightening Youth Glow under my foundation for the last week as well and I can definitely tell a difference in the way my makeup sits on my face. I don’t know how but my skin looks more even and smoother, it’s pretty crazy. For the last two years, I’ve been using the Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer which I also love but it doesn’t give me the same glow as Charlotte Tilbury’s primer.
- Charlotte Tilbury’s Magic Cream – Hands-down my FAVOURITE moisturizer to date. It is creamy and not oily. I use it in the AM and it applies and absorbs perfectly on my skin. Has hyaluronic acid and wild pansy extracts for moisture, has anti-aging properties (starting it early!). L-O-V-E
- Charlotte Tilbury’s Magic Night Cream – The Magic Night Cream is super rich and hydrating. The first time I applied it, the moisturizer seems a little too oily but it’s because I used too much product haha. This cream applies beautifully and is extremely hydrating. I woke up with my skin feeling so smooth, plump and soft.
- Brightening Youth Glow – The perfect make-up primer. This primer has a pearlescent sheen to it that helps with skin-brightening and gives you the perfect glow. I love the way my foundation wears with this primer, it’s as thought my skin is airbrushed or something.
Since my facial, I’ve branched out to other skincare lines including Aesop and The Ordinary. The cleanser I’m currently loving is the Aesop Parsley Seed Cleanser that may not be great for sensitive skin because Parsley Seed can be an irritant and I wasn’t exactly convinced the first time I used it. I love a creamy cleanser that really lathers and this one lathers but not the same way a creamy cleanser does. But I was instantly sold when I was applying toner to my face with a cotton pad and the cotton pad came out clean. There was no left over makeup on the cotton pad. The cleanser really cleanses. I’m completely hooked.
I tried a couple other products from Aesop, some I love and some I could live without.
- Fabulous Face Cleanser – does not lather at all, it’s an olive derived cleanser that is super gentle. I’m sure it’s great for super sensitive skin. I’m currently using this as my morning cleanser and it works fine but I probably won’t be re-purchasing.
- B & Tea Balancing Toner – This toner works well.. I’m not sure about the scent, it smells like tea but not a very delicious smelling tea, but it could be worse bahaha. I think its works for the drier months but I do want to try the Bitter Orange Astringent Toner for Spring/Summer.
- Camellia Nut Facial Hydrating Cream – I love this cream, it’s a richer cream, perfect for night application to help with hydration.
- Mandarin Facial Hydrating Cream – Not-so-hydrating. Not for the winter anyway. I find this formula too light for my skin at the moment. It will probably be a great moisturizer for the spring/summer when the weather is less harsh. I do love the fresh citrus scent tho!
Okay, this next product is 100% worth mentioning and worth trying! I’ve heard so many great things about The Ordinary products and up until my facial, I wasn’t prepared to try anything new. I finally picked up “Buffet” and Salicylic Acid 2% Solution last week. The best part about this line is that it is so affordable and made in Canada!
Everyone’s skin is different, you just have to find what works best for you and your skin. These are the products I have used and are currently loving. Let me know if you’ve tried any of these products before and what you think of them!